18 July 2009

Todo Sobre... Junio

It’s hard to believe but I’m quickly approaching the 2-month mark since my arrival here in Spain. I can’t even begin to explain what a hectic 7 weeks I have had. My journey to get this far has taken me through some very bumpy paths to say the least. June held the hardest times for me. Now I can say that I wish I had waited a few more weeks to move to Spain. I definitely came at an awkward time for both work and my friends.
Well let me begin by explaining my work situation so far. As I stated in one of my previous blogs, I did find a job within my first week. That was probably the best thing that came out of June. I researched some places before I left the US and sent my resume to an English academy in Madrid. They told me that when I arrived in Spain, to come into their office to meet face to face. Well Dani and I handed out a few other resumes and then stopped at this academy. They pulled up my file and gave me an interview right then and there. I spoke with 2 of the directors: Jerry and Jeff. They showed interest and asked me to come back to do a mock lesson later in the week. I did and they offered me a position on their staff. That was a big load off my shoulders.


Having no real teaching experience, I trained for two weeks and shadowed other teachers. But by the last week of June, I was substituting classes and giving private lessons. I took a few more interviews with other academies, but I felt comfortable at the academy I had first been hired at. The salary is okay but the teacher support and resources are by far the best I’ve seen. Plus, the rest of the teachers there are great. The teaching staff is mostly Americans (the US, Puerto Rico and Canada) with a mix of South Americans and Australians. So everyone brings something different to the academy from accents to teaching techniques to life experiences in general. But even with our completely different backgrounds we all have something in common: we were crazy enough to just pick up and leave our homes and move to Spain. Some made pit-stops in other cities and countries but we all ended up in Spain for a reason… because there’s no other place like it. The teachers at the academy are by far my biggest comfort especially when I get homesick or am dealing with culture shock. The first few weeks were harder just trying to fit in and learn the ropes, but after over a month, I already feel like part of the group.


Of course, this all seems amazing but there are definitely some drawbacks. The biggest is by far the commute to work. It takes me 3 hours or more in commuting every day. 50 minutes on the bus from Toledo and another 30-45 minutes on the metro to the academy then do it all again to get back home. Plus it costs me an arm and a leg to travel. Currently, I pay 50 euro a week to travel to work. Doesn’t seem like a lot but when I was training and giving 1 private lesson a day, it was costing me money in the end. So for the month of June, I spent 150 euro in traveling to earn 100 euro. Once I get my residency papers, I can get card called the Carnet Joven, which allows adults under 26 to travel for half price. So my expenses will drop to about 30 euro a week. The directors continually ask me if I plan to move to Madrid. I can’t say that the idea isn’t tempting. However, my rent will double and my apartment will be a third of the size. I have more friends in Madrid now and I won’t waste the time commuting. But I absolutely love Toledo. Every time I’m on the bus and I see the view of Toledo as we approach, I stop breathing. This city made me fall in love with Spain, its people and its culture.




I can’t imagine being as happy living anywhere else. However, even Dani and his sister Ana are most likely moving closer to Madrid because that’s where their work will be. I have another month to think about this so for now, I’m going to leave it alone.

I put up new flyers around Toledo for private English lessons. I didn’t have any luck in June but finally received some work in July which I will discuss in the next blog.

The middle of June was the hardest for me because I wasn’t working, my money was going quickly and Dani was studying for his teaching exam. So I spent a lot of days alone walking the streets. I’m not trying to sound pitiful but when your fantasy becomes reality, you discover how hard reality can be. You realize that the world doesn’t stop just because your world has been turned upside-down. Those few weeks definitely tested my strength and my desire to stay in the country. There was no one to blame and nothing that could have been done much differently. Looking back, it wasn’t all that bad, just boring and a bit lonesome. I think the worst part was having so much time to think. Think about what mistakes I had already made and all the things that could go wrong. For about 2 weeks I woke up every day in a state of panic (no worries, I’m writing this now with a smile on my face because I overcame it). I just want anyone who is thinking of doing this to understand the reality of it. It sounds romantic to just leave your home and move abroad to live by your own means. But the reality is that every day is a struggle and you have to find strength in the little things. During the hard times, the little things are what help you survive. For me it’s hearing a song that I used to dance to at Bourbon Street on Ladies Night or skyping with my siblings and hearing about how many goals they scored in their soccer game and about their 8th grade graduation. Even Facebook messages from my family and friends saying how much they missed me but how supportive they are of my decision to move to Spain helped me get through every day.



my sister Windsor and brother Liam


Dani left at the end of June to return to his pueblo for the rest of the summer. He told me before I left the US of his plans, but I guess I just never really imagined what it would be like without him a block away. I was dependent on him for my first weeks here that I couldn’t imagine surviving without him. But at the same time, work at the academy picked up considerably so it was almost like I didn’t have time to sulk. I literally woke up one day and realized how much I could do by myself. My Spanish comes back more and more every day. Not using it for a year took its toll but now I can do the everyday things without any trouble. Dani took me around and taught me the local places to shop and the most economic ways of doing things. So now I’m finally adjusted to life here. Culture shock wasn’t bad at all. I still have little things that bug me and my usual blonde moments but other than that, I am finally completed settled and have a daily routine.
I can’t lie when I say that these past weeks have been the most difficult weeks of my life. But I’ve learned so much about myself throughout this experience. We need hard times and difficult decisions in order to enjoy the good times that come our way. And from what I can tell, I am due for some of the best times of my life!

No comments: