02 January 2010

The Christmas Spirit

Having just been back to the US in late October for my aunt’s wedding, I knew that it wouldn’t be in my budget to return for Christmas. I didn’t spend too much time thinking about what I would do till a few weeks prior to the holiday. I started asking around to see who would still be here. To my surprise, a vast amount would be returning to their homelands this holiday- a larger majority than previous years. Others that were staying in Spain were spending it with their spouses or novios. So a bit of panic set in that I would spend Christmas completely alone!


Well, a few weeks before Christmas, I went out to celebrate my friend Emilio’s birthday. There I started talking to Polly, and she told me that her and her roommates would be throwing a big bash and I was more than welcome to come. Seizing the opportunity, I told her to put my name on the guest list. Soon I got the official facebook invite and found out all about the shenanigans that would ensue for this festivity. It would be a 3 day bash filled with gifts, food, booze and other delightful pleasures.

Glad to have that weight off my shoulders, I continued with my classes and found that holiday cheer I was looking for.  The ladies of ALA did our own Secret Santa the weekend before classes ended.  We all met at this authentic Spanish retuarant where we shared delicious food and plenty of red wine.  Towards the end we all went around and choose a gift from another one of the girls.  I got this really cute scarf with a matching braclete.  After dinner, we went to a nearby bar where we drank and danced until early morning. 


Finally, it was the last week of classes and Christmas was a few days away. My last classes consisted of holiday music, review games and Christmas crosswords followed by ALA’s infamous holiday party. We took our students there for the last 20 minutes of class to have some goodies, drink coffe (or Jeff’s magical punch) and hand out small gifts. I even had to dress up as Santa a few times which my students got a big kick out of. (Hopefully I’ll get my hands on some of those pictures to add on here later!)

Next few days past quickly and suddenly it was Christmas Eve. I spent it watching movies at home recovering from a nasty hangover I was sporting from the night before hand. I slept in and around 2ish, Skyped with my family as the kids opened their Santa gifts. That was probably the best part of the day.  I had bought most of my gifts when I visited in October and the others I bought online and had them delivered to my home in Chicago.  So I was able to watch them open my gifts.  Gotta love technology.  At the end, they all gathered and sang to me "We wish you a Merry Christmas!" It was the best gift I could have recieved!

I got ready and headed over to the holiday party where I was met by a feast. These ladies certainly went out their way with the meal. It was the best I’ve eaten here in Spain in quite some time.

We sat around drinking absurd amounts of wine, telling holiday and non-holiday stories, playing our country’s traditional holiday music. I got there a few hours later than everyone else, so I had a lot of catching up to do in the drinking department which was a challenge that I happily accepted. Time passed rather gingerly as I became acquainted with new faces. Then it was time for presents!



We did a Grab Bag where we pulled 2 different names from a tin and had to buy small gifts for each (about 10 euros/person) and we also had to get a generic gift (about 5 euro). This was harder for me because I knew only a handful of people that would be attending this party. Luckily, one of the names I drew was Robert, a guy I had met several times through our mutual friends. However, the second name was Joe whom I had never met. So that was going to be a bit more difficult. I cheated a bit and talked to Luke to find out something about my Secret Santa guys. I found out that Robert likes most things but also is a sucker for a great cigar… 1 Habana Cigar coming up. I found out Joe was a comic book artist… 1 fancy-schamncy pencil at your service. I walked around a few small shops looking for a generic, non-gendered gift and couldn’t find anything. So where do I end up but El Corte Ingles. Looked around for a bit and went with a 2-disc version of the movie Airplane! Classic and in my price range. SOLD!

We did the generic gifts first where I got these really cute little candles and a book. Then we did our Secret Santa where I got really nice lotion and an adorable makeup mirror that I put right next to my bed. After that, time went very quickly as the wine set in. My friend Dave stopped by for a few minutes to say hello; he was spending Christmas with a friend and her family. But it was nice to see a familiar face. I eventually fell asleep on a random couch about 3am. Others didn’t last that late as they had been drinking a lot longer than I was. I woke up late morning and stumbled to the metro with my goodies and slept the most of the day away. I Skyped with my grandmother the next day as I opened her gifts that she actually sent to me around Thanksgiving. So they were sitting on my dresser taunting me for weeks. She gave me  really cute teal sweater dress (that I wore to the Christmas party) and some really pretty jewelry.




The next few days were spent with Dave and his cousin that was visiting from Chicago. I played tour guide but I think I enjoyed myself more than they did. Living here, I’m embarrassed to go to the real touristy spots. However, when a friend/relative is visiting, you’re given free reign to look like a foreigner. So I gladly tagged along to Flamenco shows and tapa nights and walks to the museums before hitting up the local bar scene.

Meanwhile, I was anxiously and nervously waiting for my family’s Christmas gift. My mother sent them to Spain on December 8. When I still hadn’t received them by the 28th, I was a little concerned. I took a trip to the post office and they told me that the package was detained in customs for 2 weeks (leave it to my mother to pack batteries when it clearly says “No Batteries!”) But I received it the next day and eagerly opened it! Probably some of the most clever and very-appreciated gifts I’ve ever gotten. There was a cute stocking filled with everyday things like lotion, toothbrushes, nail kit, etc. Then I pulled out the MagicJack (coolest gift EVER) and a landline phone to go with it. Also, I got a beautiful bracelet and a coach purse (Whoa! Definitely got spoiled… first brand-name purse I’ve ever owned!), a cute new wallet with a hundred dollar bill (so when I told my mom thanks I said “Yeah, and thanks for the 66 euro in the wallet”… a little currency exchange humor for you!!!), and last but certainly not least: a NEW CAMERA (I bought this really nice camera right before I left for Spain which I am still paying off the credit card for it… then what happens? My friend drops it and no more camera!!! So I have been absolutely lost without one for the past 3 months. This was definitely a life saver).

Overall, it had a very nice Christmas. It was drama free and simple. I got to see the best parts of other cultures while not missing out on time with my family. I remember stating in my Thanksgiving blog how I didn’t think Christmas would be as smooth as Thanksgiving. Now I have to say that it beat all my expectations!


1 comment:

Pamela said...

Glad to read you had a good one despite being away from your fam etc! I'd love to teach English in Spain, just don't think i'd ever be brave enough to give it all up who knows! Please to be following your blog!