05 April 2010

A Welcomed Surprise

Easter is one of my favorite holidays. It represents time spent with the family and friends, the arrival of Spring and the ability to eat delicious treats guilt free. So this year, I was a little sad to be so far away from home. However, that all changed one day last week. I woke up and opened my bedroom door to walk to the bathroom when I stubbed my toe and nearly tripped over an object in front of my door. I cursed my roommates under my breath for not paying attention where they put their things when I looked at the object. It was a package. I picked it up and saw my name written on the side. Someone had sent me a package!!!
After a quick bathroom trip, I ran back to my room full of excitement. I examined the box as if it had come from outer space. It was from my best friend Ray. He had been telling me for almost a year that he would send me things from back home. Every time I talked to him he said, “Yes, I’ll send you something soon.” I knew he eventually would but I never rushed him because I knew how expensive shipping things abroad could be. And I was right; this box cost him $50 to send. I bet he wasn’t expecting that.



Anyways, I felt like it was a box of American heaven. PEANUT BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, GUM, GLAMOUR MAGAZINE (in English), SPICES, and most importantly….




CRYSTAL LIGHT!!!!


Ray also sent me an envelope full of our favorite pictures together and a 2-page note of his random ramblings.  I sat in bed reading and re-reading the letter with tears rolling down my face. Yes, I was that big of a girl in that moment.
This came at the right time for me. It gave me a piece of home and made me remember how blessed I am to have such amazing friends.

My friend Meg sent me a similar box around my birthday last fall and again my friend Chris sent me a small Christmas box of goodies. It’s the small things that make me miss home but luckily, I have the love and support from my friends and family to keep me going. Shout out to all of my friends that remind me daily of how lucky I am!!! Love you and miss you all <3

2 comments:

Meg said...

Omg! I was featured in your post! I'm honored. I miss you lady!

Anonymous said...

You can buy American magazines in centric kioskos :P