15 June 2010

Semana Santa 2010


Semana Santa or 'Holy Week' starts Spain's Spring Break around the time of Pascual or 'Easter'.  Obviously being in 'Catholic Spain', I had some very high expectations.  All week long from the end of March to the beginning of April.  I got a full week off of work which was nice as I was in need a descanso.  I had just come back from Vigo the weekend prior and was planning another trip to Salamanca in the week that followed, so I had a completely empty agenda for this week which was just what the doctor ordered.
I borrowed one of my colleague's Madrid tour books and started to scan through it one day.  I was amazed about how many things in Madrid I had never been to or even knew existed.  So I decided to utilize this time to check out what secrets were hiding in this massive city. 

I must admit that I slept in almost every day and put no urgency to accomplish much of anything.  I enduldged myself with long dinners and copias amounts of drink during this week with some of my friends.  However, I did get around to seeing some pretty awesome things.

One day, Craig, Irene, my amazing Italian roommate and I went for a long stroll around Parque Oeste and the Royal Palace.
Another day was spent at the Soralla Museum only minutes from where I live.
Yet another day was spent in the city that will forever have my heart... TOLEDO!
And the rest were spent cleaning, shopping and general walk-abouts in the centro.

  Me (left) and My Roommate Irene (right)

What I want this blog to be mostly about it the festivities revolving around Semana Santa in Madrid.

I really like this BLOG's review of Semana Santa in Spain... so check it out if you want more info!

One of my goals was to sit in on a Catholic mass in one of Madrid's hundreds of iglesias.  I got that opportunity during my stroll with Craig and Irene.  I intended on going to a small church near my apartment but when we were passing the Cathedral near the Royal Palace and I saw that there was a service going on at that moment, I thought... what the hell! (Sorry for the blasphemy!)

It was also my first time inside the Cathedral here in Madrid so it was quite the experience for me.  We stayed about 20 minutes as the crowds of people left no where to sit.  But I was really moved by the Latin service and choir.  I'm not a religious person by any means but it's still one of those cultural experiences that really have an impact on a person. 

The one event during Semana Santa I knew I couldn't miss was
'La Procession de Silencio'
view from inside the parade heading towards PUERTA DE SOL

It starts near Atocha and continues down towards Sol wraps around and continues back.  It would seem like any normal religion based- Easter parade with exception to some crazy outfits and suprising offerings of penance. Well, I'll let you see for yourself...
Hopefully, I don't have to explain that the outfits have absolutely NOTHING to do with the KKK!
The people are called Nazarenos; they wear these costumes as a way to demonstrate their penatence to heaven.  Every major city in Spain has a different group of Nazarenos that each have their own colored costumes and different ways to distinguish themselves from one another.  It is considered a great honor throughout Spain to become a Nazareno.




The second picture demonstates common people usually members of that group's particular church who want to ask for foregiveness for their sins through this walk of 'disgrace'.  They walk barefoot shackled with chains; the more chains, the more forgiveness you're asking for.  Nowadays, it is a more symbolic tradition. 


Well here are some more photos of the parade to help you get an idea of what a spectacle it was! Enjoy :)






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make us look like we're very religious! I mean I'm nearly 18 and I think that I've gone to Church like 10-15 times in my whole life, and the same applies to the majority of people my age :)