02 March 2011

LA CRISIS hits home... and my wallet

So for 2 years all my students talk about LA CRISIS... the economic crisis that has swept the world.  I talked about the hard times in the US but more from the view of an outsider as I haven't felt the economic hardships of this troubled time for awhile.  I listened with a sense of pity and understanding as countless students told me about how hard it was to find work throughout Spain.  Almost every new class I start, I go around and ask them to share basic information about themselves and at least 3 of my 7 students say "Well, I'm unemployed at the moment hoping that learning English will help me get a better job!" Now similar phrases have been lost on me as the crisis has become more of a symbol of.... (as bad as it sounds) more work for English teachers. 

However, today I was hit with a fist full of reality. 

As some of you may or may not know, since October I've been working partly at the US Embassy here in Madrid.  I can't say much for 'matters of national securtiy' hahaha but no, seriously I can't.  It's a pretty sweet gig.  Only 6 hours a week but relatively easy money.  I've been teaching a lot of their maintanence and housekeeping staff along with chauffers and general Spanish office workers.  Classes were enjoyable.  I've gotten to meet a lot of Americans here in Madrid which is also nice.  Best part... full blown AMERICAN STORE downstairs with non-inflated prices!!!!! So since October I've been able to gorge myself on all those goodies I've been missing from back home.

And then the bad news.....

In the middle of my classes yesterday, my students walks in and looks at me suprised.  He said, 'Oh, I wasn't sure if you were actually going to be here!"   I looked at him with a smile and said, "Why wouldn't I be here.  It's class time."

With a sad face he quietly said, "Oh, you haven't heard yet!"

He goes on to explain in a mixture of English and Spanish that the US government sent in a huge budget cut to the Embassy in Madrid.  And the first thing to go.... ENGLISH CLASSES! Along with that, they're cutting several staff jobs in the residence and extreme power cuts where they can.

I was stunned as this was the first time I was hearing this. I asked when the classes were scheduled to end.  My student replied, "As far as I know, immediately!"  I couldn't believe it.  Surely they had a fixed contract with my agency till at least the end of the trimester??? I mean, RIGHT?

After all my classes, the story had been corroberated by 2 other students and 3 more non-students.  As I left the Embassy refusing to believe that was the last time I'd see my students, I called my agency to demand an explanation.  Apparently, they had yet to receive the memo either... but my colleague that also works for the Embassy informed me just minutes ago that it was true.  I am no longer employeed at the US Embassy. 

But how could this happen.  As told some of my other students and Spanish friends and they simply can't believe that a goverment like the UNITED STATES could be that hard up for money as to cancel a few English classes.  But it's true.... it's the first time in over 2 years that I have felt the sting of the economic crisis. 

Well, crap!

No comments: