02 December 2011

Spanish Withdrawl.... Part 1

I have been back in the States for 5 months... 5 MONTHS! Ay Dios Mio...

So I've compiled a list of some things that I'm just dying to have again in my life....
Of course, most of things I could get back here in the States but it's still not the same...

Case #1- Cañas/ Claras

So these are nothing special... small glass of beer (una caña) / beer & soda mixture (una clara) but it comes with the cultural significance behind them.  I enjoyed nothing more than running across the street to a local bar and sitting on a terraza (terrace) having a quick drink and big bowl of aceitunas (olives) between classes or after a long day of work or just spending a relaxing Sunday with friends. 


Yeah, back here in Chicago I meet up with friends at a local sports bar for the Sox or Bears games or just a few pregaming beers before hitting the clubs.  However, its still not the same.  We're all about chugging the beers down before running out, not just enjoying the moment.... but alas we are Americans.


Case #2 Late Nights

Ugh, I'm not trying to have an alcohol, partying theme here but that is one of the things Spain does best....

In Spain, if you're home before 4 am it's because you're sick, have an early morning class (for ESL teachers) or.... actually those are the only 2 I can really think of.  In Spain, typical time for getting back to the house during the weekend was when the sun was rising in the cab ride home. 

Now I feel like I have to start partying during dinner just to get my fix.  Becuase at 1 o'clock you know that last call is coming and you have to start sobering up for the drive home.  However, I must admit that these feelings come from being back in the suburbs.  Im sure city life in Chicago would be a little more my speed but still nothing in comparison to el estilo español!

Case #3 Public Transport

Again this probably comes from being a suburbanite and having to take your car EVERYWHERE but I do truly miss Madrid's public transport.  It's clean, efficient and quick.... nothing comparel to the El of Chicago that would take 500 million gallons of bleach to rid each station of it urine smell. Plus I really enjoyed those long rides... I have had some amazing conversations with complete strangers on the 'Metro' about life, culture, politics, history.... something that isn't as easy to find here in Chicago but I must admit.... I think Chicagoans (or Mid-Westerns in general) are a lot more open in this aspect than some other regions of the States.


Case #4 OLIVE OIL

Yes, yes I know we have olive oil here in the States but its not the staple that it is in Spain.  I got so accustomed to cooking everything with it that I do have cravings.  I still cook some things with it but Ive fallen back into my American ways to cooking with butter or just cooking food that dont need anything in general.  Mmm getting another craving... so thats all I have to say about this. hahaha


Case #5 Fruterias

About a block from my last house and every house in Madrid and all big cities are fruterias (fruit shops) filled with anything you could want.  But what I love, above their easy access, is their relatively low price in comparison to the Mid-Wests prices.  I could walk out with 2 bags overflowing with fresh fruits and veggies for over a week for like $15.  Low prices mean that people eat healthier and in general feel better.  Definitely something that Im missing these days!



Well of course there's dozens and dozens of other things I could add to this list but these are just a few gripes that I have with my current location.  I miss Spain everyday and if I could bring just 5 things to Chicago from España... it would be these....

1 comment:

Lindz said...

Oh girl do I ever understand your sentiments. It's been 6 years since I've been home (been back for visits) and I still pine for the things on your list and many, many more. One thing you have going for you is living on the east coast. On a recent trip to DC, I felt that much closer to the Euro lifestyle, even some of my favorite stores were present. It's a void in your heart and soul that you just can never fill.